At Fota Wildlife Park you will find many beautiful creatures including the striking giraffe. We have assembled a list of facts about giraffes. Some of which you may already know:
- You will find giraffes in central, eastern and southern Africa.
- A normal, healthy giraffe can often live to about 25 years in the wild.
- A typical male will weigh between 2,400 and 3,000 pounds with a female tipping the scales at about 1,600 and 2,600 pounds.
- Male giraffes can be up to 19 feet tall with females often hitting the 16 feet mark or thereabouts.
- Giraffes can often go for several days without water in the wild. This comes in useful in times of poor weather conditions such as droughts.
- They get moisture from leaves of the trees they eat.
- Thanks to their long necks, giraffes eat leaves from tall trees. Typically they aim for the acacia trees.
- Giraffes have small “horns” on top of their heads to protect their head in fights. They often grow to be about five inches long.
- They travel in large herds that consist of various sexes or ages.
Fota Wildlife Park has a large section of animals including giraffes. There are many Cork hotels to choose from in the area for those who wish to travel in order to visit the famous wildlife park.